Getting Out of the Office

Hello! You may have talked to me on the phone if you have ever called the Conservation main office anytime since August of 1999. That is when I started working for Polk County Conservation as a seasonal Office Clerk. You then may have encountered me at the Jester Park Golf Course as I worked as a Beverage Cart Operator and Account Clerk for the Golf Course.

I began working full-time as the Shelter Reservationist. I booked reservations for the shelters in all of the parks and for the Jester Park Lodge. At that time I also started doing the payroll processing for conservation. I currently handle Accounts Payable which includes processing of all the invoices for conservation and Payroll Clerk duties which includes processing payroll and paperwork for all the seasonals we hire every spring, as well as paperwork for hiring and benefits for full-time staff.

Since I work in the office I don’t spend every hour outside but I find ways to get out and enjoy the parks. I know I am especially lucky to have a park to walk in on my lunch break. This was my view from the office on one rainy day. 


This time of year you will find me outside searching for the spring wildflowers. They are a little slower coming out this year but I am eagerly awaiting them. The current rain we are getting should also help make the morel mushroom hunting season go a lot better than last year.

I love spending time outdoors camping, hiking and cross country skiing in the parks. I am able to volunteer for Polk County Conservation outside of my regular work duties and help with invasive species removal workdays and clean-ups in the parks, including the big River Run Garbage Grab along the Des Moines River corridor. This is me in the purple wearing my personal protective equipment (PPE) working on clearing honeysuckle at Jester Park.


You may also have met me at one of the Environmental Education programs or trips. I have attended many educational programs including night hikes, stargazing and rain barrel workshops. I have taken canoe and kayak basics classes and went on the Southern Missouri and Iowa River canoe trips since I love paddling.

I hope you enjoy our Polk County parks as much as I do. See you in the park!

Comments

Popular Posts